Sunday, July 20, 2014

Is this becoming an eating blog?

Our trip to Fort Leonard Wood gave me an opportunity to try eating vegan on another person's pocketbook.  Also an opportunity to blow off sensible eating for a few days, and I seized the opportunity.  Stupid, I know, but I was in too big a hurry to care.  On the way up--hurry, hurry, hurry--I stopped mid-afternoon for a quick McDonald's fish sandwich and forgot to ask them to leave the cheese off it.   Recent research on foods and nutrition has convinced me to add a couple servings of fish to my weekly menu, so I can't call myself vegan anymore.  In any event, a McDonald's fish sandwich doesn't qualify.  McDonald's filet of fish compares to wild-caught salmon the way a candy bar compares to an apricot.

At some place called T's (or J's) steakhouse, in Lebanon, Missouri, I had fried catfish, a baked sweet potato, and onion rings.  Fail on two out of three counts.  The baked sweet potato was yummy--how do they get theirs so creamy inside?  Mine always turn up stringy.

We won't mention breakfast--I went for the fastest protein serving I could hope to swallow in ten minutes with a mild hangover.  Lunch was a supremely awful fast-food Chinese mixed vegetables.  But supper, remember this--Colton's has a mixed greens salad with mandarin oranges, topped with baked salmon.  Heavenly!

And for lunch, Schlotzsky's does a salad topped with strawberries, blueberries and pecans.  Verry Berry--Verry Good.. 

No comments: