Saturday, August 6, 2016

Inspired...to leave the mess!

Natural Gardening for Birds
by

Very informative in all manner of ways. I now know the best seeds to look for in a bird seed mix, the best flowering plants for my area, and the importance of brush piles.  The supreme importance of brush piles.  No problem for me--out here in the boonies, brush piles just happen. When you least expect them. They're quick to come; slow to haul away.

I'd already noticed how much the birds seem to like fallen trees and loosely piled branches. Wrens especially, but I've seen native sparrows sheltering there. One thing the book didn't think to mention was that green grass in winter delights most every wild bird. I have a bird-friendly septic system.

In addition to endorsing our poor landscape maintenance, the book had little insets of birder anecdotes every page or two.

No comments: