Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Quick and forgetful

Close to famous
by Joan Bauer

Very solid YA cozy by the author of Hope Was Here.   I liked it, and in general, I like her stuff. It doesn't have that mysterious spark that makes me want to read more, but it served its purpose well--to give me light and cheer on an evening when I feel blue.

She maybe could have sneaked in a little more detail on Foster's struggles, or dug some depth into any one of the other characters.  The actress would have been an interesting character to explore.  Maybe I shut up and quit criticizing kid lit--let the people of the right age do it--but still, shouldn't I get an opinion?  There's a whole lot of it I do like.

Still, maybe I should find some grownup books to read for comfort food...but it's hard. Grownup books seem to think they have to rip your heart out, like My Year Of Meats or All The Light You Cannot See.  How to find a "light" grownup book?

No comments: