Sunday, April 16, 2017

The eggplant article was good

Alone in the Kitchen With an Eggplant
Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone
edited by Jenni Ferrari-Adler

Like any collection of short essays, this had its hits and its misses.  But I don't remember jumping up from any single one to rush to the computer and see what else that writer had written.  I need to leaf back through and check....

The only authors I liked enough to consider checking out were Phoebe Nobles--who isn't an author so I guess she's a foodie--and Holly Hughes, who writes for Frommer's and does food writing anthologies.

So, that's what I thought.  It was amusing enough to keep me reading, but nothing was memorable. Each person used around five pages plus a recipe, but none seemed particularly inspired to produce their very best writing. It was more like--hey, would you dash off a couple pages about cooking alone for my book?  It doesn't have to be all that great, just some personal observations. People will love to read it!

And yeah, if you're a big fan of these people, you might.  I knew a few of them, especially Nora Ephron--but her article on potatoes wasn't even new--it came from Heartburn.  Maybe not verbatim, but I recognized it.

So I think it was a nice idea for a collection but it maybe didn't pan out so great. Still a good collection to pick up and put down without regrets, say, for vacation reading.  it's an okay.

No comments: