Monday, July 3, 2017

State of the Garden, Ending June and Beginning July

 Typical summer temperatures, but atypical rainfall . Highs in the mid-nineties (36 C), lows mid-seventies (24 C), but with the exception of one tomato plant, everything is still green.  What's with all the rain? Not complaining.






My cover crop of three-year-old blackeye pea seed is pea-ing. (Fruiting? Seeding?)  That wasn't supposed to happen--I expected them to die from drought--but I'll live with it. And eat the peas.









This broccoli which any sane gardener would have pulled up and composted months ago is still making tiny heads.  I feel bad, thwarting its attempt to reproduce itself, but I still cut a dozen of them for my salad. If the plants stay healthy, I think I'll just leave them in the ground and see if they produce again next spring. I've had that happen before and I made a lovely stir-fry--then a herd of cows came through and ate the plants to the ground.




The rest of my story is all complaints. I planted a lot more cucumbers than I needed--I'm harvesting about one per day and each one would feed a family of four for a week.  (I think they call that hyperbole, but it exactly expresses my attitude.)  And this thing here:








Horseradish.

A pest that doesn't belong in a garden.  We planted it ten years ago and it still comes back every year, every where.  I let this one grow, hoping it will eventually morph into that white stuff that comes in squeeze packets.  Hopeless?






 One weird thing you'll learn from growing a garden is how astonishingly mobile plants can be.  Only a non-gardener would think that a plant stayed where you put it, but I did.  I've got sunflowers laying down on cucumbers, cantaloupe climbing up sunflower stalks, and tomatoes in the bean patch. And just where does this squash think it's going?




Best answer wins a prize!  And the prize is two, not one, but two, foot-long, home grown, cucumbers!

No comments: