Thursday, April 18, 2019

Gardening in my Roots, mid-April



Snap peas are finally starting to bloom!  Heavy rains all day Saturday discouraged the tiny crop of beets and Swiss chard I have left, but it's too late in the season to replant it.  Tomatoes and peppers--the ones in the ground--are happy. Except possibly for the Jalapeno pepper I pulled up while weeding.  I shoved it quickly back down in the mud and will hope it forgives the imposition.



Notice the problem with beans--if you plant them too late, bugs are hatched out of the egg and ready to chow down!


















Next April I might just forgo a garden and spend my whole spring bird watching. In the short time after work I saw Cattle Egrets, American Goldfinch, American Crow, hawk unknown species, probably red-tailed, Carolina Chickadee, wren unknown species, Eastern bluebirds (lots), Eastern Phoebe, hummingbird unknown sp., red-headed woodpecker, stupid Cardinals, and a  yellow-rumped warbler.  All very common species, I admit, but the bird guides are encouraging--the better you know familiar species, the better you become at spotting the unfamiliar ones.

No comments: