Thursday, September 5, 2019

Blah and books

I should write something thoughtful and moving on the anniversary of my birth day. But all I can think of is I'm sixty-one years old and still wasting 2+ hours of my day sitting in rush-hour traffic!?!? 

It is indeed Time To Move On, as my current password suggests. I need to change it soon...what will the next one be? NearingEndOfSentence? GetReadyNow!ItsAlmostOver? OhHappyDayIsComingSoon?

Meanwhile, I read.




Turning the Tide
(Quaker Midwife Mystery #3)
by Edith Maxwell


I'll give her a Michelin star for consistency. This one was different from the previous ones only in that it featured a good bit of the heroine's mother, albeit in a flat, one-sided role, and it dealt much with women's suffrage. The ongoing saga of the heroine's engagement, fiancee, and future mother-in-law was advanced a bit, but nothing has really changed. And she still goes on questioning her fiancee's every thought even while he remains as steadfast and loving as a man can possibly be. If these were real people, I'd be wondering what kind of marriage they could possibly have with all her mistrust and insecurity and fear.

The murder and detection was such a sideline to the midwifery/marriage/suffrage plot that I barely remember a thing about it.

And despite all those horrible things I just wrote, I'm still looking forward to the next one.


No comments: