Thursday, April 2, 2020

Saturday at Richland-Chambers Lake

Saturday, Feburary 15

I slept fine but Ed was uncomfortably hot--go figure it. But I clearly didn't drink enough water the day before because I had a resurgence of my UTI or whatever it was that was making me have to go pee every five minutes. I'd had it during the week, but by Thursday had dwindled to a minor twinge before noon, and by Friday it was gone completely. So why was it back? Blah. I also broke another tooth Friday night. Was my body suddenly falling to pieces in my last month before retirement?

There were no birds at the park. "No" as in nothing but chickadees, blue jays, mockingbirds (a lot), killdeer, cormorant (I need to see that one better), and vultures. But that's okay. We were not there for birdwatching. 

Except for all the pipits! A whole flock of them! I know they're one of the commonest birds in America but I'd never noticed them before that last trip. I tried to take a picture but with my little dog helping, I failed royally and repeatedly.  When I tried again the next day, in the time-honored tradition of birds, they were gone.

Back to the retirement thingy. It's getting harder and harder to envision working for 45 more days (6-1/3 weeks). Is the stress of that what's causing my body parts to break?

Jogging was hard. With the bladder issue, I couldn't go very far or fast without returning to the RV. But I managed thirty minutes of it.

After that we went out to have lunch with my brother and sister-in-law, but first we took a jaunt around the lake in search of a boat ramp we'd heard rumor of.  It looked like a good spot for fishing, but getting there via lake would have taken away too much of our fishing time.  While driving, we discovered that Google maps considers dirt roads as appropriate routes for shortcuts. I kept having to override the navigation as it headed us off on dirt roads. It didn't help that the driver insisted in traveling at or above the posted speed limit. Every time I found the best next turn, it was too late-we'd passed it. We were also passing zebras, camels, and most likely emus and wildebeasts out there in the middle of rural Texas, but I could hardly take my eyes off the map long enough to enjoy them.

Eventually we found the boat ramp and headed back to lunch at The Harbor Restaurant. They really made an effort with the food--my bun was fresh and warm, although smeared with grease and with an awful lot of sugar in the dough. The fish inside the bun was okay, and the french fries very good--they appeared to have been made fresh, cut in interesting shapes, and double-fried to get a creamy interior and crunchy outside. If I'd had ketchup, I'd have gobbled them all down and felt sick all day.

I'd eat there again, despite it being a little on the pricey side. Lunch cost about 24 dollars for the two of us, even though I just had the fish sandwich and Ed had the small order of fried shrimp. There were a lot of build-your-own pizzas on the menu and they may have been great.
Forgot to post the coots at Fairfield Lake State Park yesterday:


They we returned and braved a chilly wind and mostly cloudy sky to go fishing. Whether or not we were going to go was touchy for a bit--it was horrid weather and the water wasn't nearly as calm as we might like. But we went, and suddenly the breeze stopped, the water stilled and it warmed up a fraction of a degree. There were lots of terns out fishing too, and at the end of the trip, I'm 98% sure I saw a loon.  Also a kingfisher, gulls sp., American Pipit for sure this time, Robin, bald eagle, and osprey.

Ed caught a big white bass--3-3/4 pounds and 19-ish inches long. Biggest I remember ever seeing outside of a mount at Bass Pro Shop.

Coming back in:

No comments: