Saturday, August 29, 2020

We were not amused

 

Southern Lady Code by Helen Ellis

Like so many books of short, funny essays I've read, this was laugh-out-loud in the first chapter and meh in the others. I don't know why, exactly. After, "If you can't say something nice, say something mean in a nice way," it went downhill. And so unmemorably that I'm having trouble remembering anything to write about here.

At the very end, she has a serious essay about a friend who's a lawyer prosecuting a very difficult murder case. That was good. But the articles on neck lifts, mammograms, and obscene twitter accounts weren't all that funny. Who can't write funny about a mammogram?  

I just don't get it. Very possibly other people find her hilarious. Try for yourself and see--but don't say I recommended it.


No comments: