Monday, November 14, 2022

Hometown disappointment

Quilt City Murders
by Bruce Leonard

Drat. I really wanted to like this book, and it was set in my hometown. Or should that be, I really wanted to like this book because it was set in my hometown?

Alas, that was not to be. I didn't hate it and didn't dislike it enough to give up on it, but by the end I was only slugging through to see if it could possibly get better. But especially at the ending, I found it too confusing and the cast of characters too broad. When the murderer was finally revealed, I didn't feel the satisfaction of having guessed them--I didn't know them all that well--nor did I feel the aha! moment of having been fooled. The lead character was fooled, beautifully.

Nor did I fully understand her boyfriend's ending. At one point it made perfect sense...but then it didn't. Maybe I'm a little dumb.

And maybe I don't like books that make me feel a little dumb.

I'd say it was a good effort for a first book, and if the author tries again it might be better. But I'll leave it to someone else to find out.

And by the way, if you grew up in Paducah Kentucky, you might enjoy it just for that. He did an excellent job at name and place dropping.

No comments: