Saturday, December 16, 2023

Enjoyable (mostly) audiobook

 Here Comes Trouble

by Michael Moore

If you're already a Michael Moore fan, you can't help but love this book.  It's full of stories from his life, from childhood up to the making of Roger and me. Some are funny but most of them are sad, although told with the lightness of spirit that keeps you reading. There was only one that was so unrelentingly sad that I seriously considered giving up the audio book right then and there--and I'm so glad I didn't. It got better.

Sorry I can't think of a one to relate. There was the priest who couldn't forgive himself for his actions during World War II, but still insisted on pestering Mr. Moore to return to the church and start praying again. Maybe all the other redeeming acts he did weren't enough to allow him to be forgiven. That was kind of good.  The stories of his early life, such as the gay kid in the neighborhood in an era when kids didn't know from gay, but their bigger brothers did. That one was sad, but it needed to be told. People need to know how things used to be.

The one story I could not recommend to anyone, anywhere, is the story of his mother's illness and hospitalization. It was a complete bummer.

But so much else was funny or funny mixed with with pathos, the stuff of great writing. To me.


No comments: