Sunday, September 7, 2014

Book review, finally

 
Appetite for Reduction by Isa Moskowitz.  It's hard to say I "read" this because I don't really read cookbooks.  I read the chapter introductions, most of the headnotes, and the little popup blurbs that decorate the pages.  And I look at the pictures--does that count?

I liked the book but not enough to want to own it.  I copied out a few recipes and tried two of them.  The braised collards recipe, which I made with Kale, was good but not exceptional.  I ate it for several meals, but never enjoyed it enough to go back for a second helping. 

The second recipe was a Vegetable Korma which called for garam masala--a spice mix that had been on my "to try" list.  Coincidentally, I read this recipe the same day I saw The Hundred Foot Journey.  And coincidentally, I had all of the ingredients for it except the garam masala and frozen green peas.  Could have subbed for the peas but I was NOT going to leave out a critical spice.  So I made the base of the dish and popped it in the refrigerator, then on the next day I procured the missing ingredients and finished it up.

It tasted really good...but you know...I checked online and found almost identical recipes everywhere.
Loved her tone, her attitude, her precision! in specifying exact quantities but suggesting things you may want to change to suit your own tastes.   Some of the ingredients were listed in both pounds and cups--perfect for someone who might be buying it at the grocery store or might be at home pulling it out of the salvage bin.   (a.k.a. fridge vegetable compartment)


So I loved it, I recommend it, but I don't want to buy it.

No comments: