Monday, September 29, 2014

Broken brain detective


A Lethal Inheritance: A Mother Uncovers the Science behind Three Generations of Mental Illness
A Lethal Inheritance
A Mother Uncovers the Science behind Three Generations of Mental Illness
by Victoria Costello
A Lethal Inheritance
subtitled A Mother Uncovers the Science behind Three Generations of Mental Illness
Victoria Costollo

Through no fault of the book's, I somehow convinced myself it would be more history and less science.  Thus I was disappointed...but only the tiniest little bit so.   You can't manufacture family history to make a great story better--but you can tell the truth.  (She did.)
It's a story of one mother and her difficult fight for her two son's mental health--and ultimately her own--but it's also a story of the science, research, history and future of mental illness in the world.  I can't even list all off that topics that pop up in this book--genetics, environmental factors, schizophrenia, suicide, recovery, early detection and prevention, family secrets, Roscommon Ireland, the Catholic church...  It's not a long book in pages but I didn't feel that any topic was given a shallow treatment, either.   In fact, for the first time in a long time, I'm going to flip through her bibliography and see if anything belongs on my to-read list.

No comments: