Monday, November 3, 2014

Wish I had a monster

             A Monster Calls
               by Patrick Ness 
               inspired by an idea from Siobhan Dowd
               read by Jason Isaacs

I suffered through the absolutely brilliant rendition of this book on audio by Jason Isaacs, so even though I missed out on the illustrations I got the extra dimension of hearing a gloriously gruff monster growl.  And by suffered, I do mean suffered.  It's a painful book written about a painful experience and that exactly what it needs to be.  When your mum's suffering from cancer and the treatments aren't helping, how do you cope?

Call up a monster.

(I'm suppressing my next statement violently with both hands. No leaks!  No hints.  No telling!)
Apparently they're going to make a movie out of this.  It deserves one.  I don't think I'll go see it, but I really hope they don't screw it up.

No comments: