Saturday, February 14, 2015

salty title








Salt: A World History

Fascinating, but no more or less than I'd expected.  It's a fascinating subject and a well-written book.  Kept my attention through the end--although a couple of times I dozed off when the emphasis became political history rather than social, culinary, or scientific.

If you have a brain that is retentive of random facts, you can bore your friends with the stories of how salted cod changed history; what are the cheapest techniques for purifying sea salt; or how they make caviar from the roe of sturgeon.  (It's not boring in the book but might be in the retelling.  Depends on how good a storyteller you are.)   You'll get all that info and lots more here.

Do I recommend this?  Obviously yes, or I'd not have been able to finish all 449 pages of it.  But it made me nostalgic for the salt pork my mama used to cook.


No comments: