Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Ho hum-ish but amusing

Will In Scarlet
by Matthew Cody

If you're not familiar with fan fiction, let me explain.  You take a published story/movie/TV show and continue the story in your own way. Or sometimes, you restart the story.  Or time travel it. Reinvent male characters as female; evil characters as good; animals as people; black as white.  Anything goes...and anywhere.

So that is this book. He retells the Robin Hood legend still another time, with Will Scarlett as the son of the Lord of Nottingham Castle and Much the Miller's Son as Much the Miller's Daughter.  (I'm not giving away the plot here--you find this out up front.)  As the the other characters of the legend, they too undergo certain interesting changes.

I was pretty disappointed in the first few chapters, but once I got into it, the story turned out pretty good.  I don't think I'd read a sequel but I might listen to it in the car on a long drive. 


No comments: