Saturday, November 28, 2015

Best weapon award

Started Early, Took My Dog

Great and frustrating book!  There appeared--without warning--to be four separate plot lines--or was that five?  All intertwined.  The date jumped from 1975 to now, or rather, now minus six months, but at least she gave you warning about that by putting the date on top of the flashback chapters and those where it returned.  But the plot lines and all the character changes kept me confused almost to the end.

(Warning: I'm not a reader who thrives on complexity of plot.  Complexity of subject, yes, but I just can't cozy up to so many new people so suddenly.)

But I still recommend it thoroughly. Best detective mystery I've read in years.  Between the police, the ex-police, and the used-to-be-police but now private fugitive tracker, there are plenty of insider details.  Throw in a stolen dog a little girl of indeterminate origin,  and a woman who just wants to know who she is--and you have it all.

No comments: