Thursday, November 5, 2015

I wanna be a medical examiner!

Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner
by Judy Melinek and T.J.Mitchell

Impossible to put down--heartbreakingly honest--fascinating.

Always in the forefront were the bodies and their ailments.  OD'ed bodies that the family insisted had been murder; bodies smashed by a falling crane; 9-1-1 bodies and and body parts.  She told a lot of medical and anatomical details without drowning you in ten-syllable words.  She revealed enough about her personal life as a trainee medical examiner to make herself a real person, but didn't get embarrassing.  She didn't try to hide her femininity, but didn't wallow in it, either.

On a side note--this is my blog, I can get personal if I want to--if anyone had ever presented the idea of her profession as an option to me, I might have considered it.  As a kid, I knew about doctors and nurses, and I sure didn't want to be one of them!  Responsibility for a human life?  Not taking it.  When I got older I heard about lab technicians and theirs seemed the most boring  job imaginable.  (Still does)  But poking into a nicely dead body, dealing with science rather than human hopes and fears, occasionally trucking out of the lab with a bag of evidence-gathering apparatus to view the crime scene in situ...what a job!



No comments: