Sunday, January 24, 2016

Right book, wrong reader?

The Wind Masters
by Pete Dunne

With all the lovely books on my to-read list, I had to go pull a random library book off the shelves.  And I got what I deserved.  It was a lovely little volume of highly anthropomorphized scenes of most of the raptors in North America, going about their daily lives or participating in the singular rituals of courtship, brooding, or raising young. It excluded owls for some reason--possibly the author wasn't so much an expert on owls as he was on hawks and vultures.

It was lovely, yes, and the writing very good.  But it left me cold and I had to struggle to finish it.  There just wasn't enough substance mixed in with the speculation. For me.  I think a lot people would love this. The California Condor story is great.

No comments: