Sunday, March 20, 2016

Not for everyone, but definitely my cuppa tea


The FitzOsbournes in Exile
by Michelle Cooper

I adored this one, even more than the first!  The usual warning: listening to a lengthy book read by a narrator with a British accent can do horrible things to your speech for a few weeks afterward.

I thought I heard a couple of historical mistakes but since I was driving at the time, I failed to note them down. One reference to 'skittles' caught my ear, but when I looked it up I saw that before skittles was a candy, it was a alternate form of ninepins played in English pubs.  And once I thought she referred to a place name that didn't exist by that name in those days.  I could be wrong about that, too.

The FitzOsbournes are so very, very amusing, and their adventures in pre-World War Two Europe are spot on!  My absolute favorite thing is the family comaraderie among them.  There are a few heroes and a few villains to spice up the story, but you honestly know the family will overcome even the most determined of villains--together.

But will they overcome war?

No comments: