Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Fluff is the mind-killer

Little Blog on the Prairie
by Cathleen Davitt Bell

Oddly, I liked this book.  It amused me.  The culture shock experienced by a family who had to give up electronics, machinery, and convenience foods against their will and live like a family from 1890...well...it made an amusing story.  When the family actually started to like a little of the work, the story seemed forced--but their delight when they got hold of something good--like fresh bread--that was real.  I could almost taste it.

It's a shallow teenager book with impossible coincidences, of course. I'm not sure whom I'd recommend it to--if you're the kind of teenager who always wanted to go back to 1890, you'll probably hate their shallow materialism.  And if not, you might sympathize but wonder what's the point?

No comments: