Thursday, March 30, 2017

Why is it 84 degrees in March?



So I decided to try the advice in The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, of planting carrots in the row with radishes so the strong, fast-growing radishes can act as a 'nurse crop' to the wimpy little carrots.  They're supposed to break up the soil and provide a little cover in the beginning.

Is it working?  I dunno.  But those itty bitty two-leaved sprigs coming up underneath those big wide radish leaves are awfully interesting looking.  Actually it looks like spinach only smaller, plus there's no way I got spinach seed and carrot seed mixed up.

If it does work, how am I supposed to get rid of the radishes without pulling the carrots out of the ground, too?


     To the right----->
Taters are up!   These are the ones I ordered from Southern Exposure, a seed-savers exchange in South Carolina or some such place.  The ones I ordered from Gurneys are just now being shipped--a full three weeks after the time when they were supposed to be planted down here.  Or, according to the North Texas Master Gardeners' program, four weeks.

If they ever get here, I guess I'll plant them.  But I'm not ordering potatoes from Gurneys again.

No comments: