Monday, February 17, 2020

DNF and very conflicted about it

The Widows

I can't understand what's holding me back from this book. Am I scared of getting too involved with the characters, so I won't have to empathize with their inevitable pain? When a bad thing happened to a certain character I found myself skimming over the details, only making note that death wasn't in the picture. So, is it me?

I don't think so. There's just something lacking in the writing and I don't know what. I'm finding that when it's time to pick up a book for my bedtime reading, I look over at this one and sigh.

Later note: I gave up so I won't be giving a rating. I still don't know what my problem was. It was definitely not the subject matter--I'm way into historical fiction and Appalachia--and it wasn't the somewhat unbelievable plot--I can swallow all kinds of whoppers. It was simply that the people weren't alive. It felt like the author set out to write a best seller and chose some under-utilized period of history and created some people to act on the pages...but the resulting book didn't spring from a "beating heart you have to rip out of your chest" as Cheryl Strayed would put it. Sorry to be so negative--as you can see from the reviews, I'm totally in the minority on this. All of the people who five-starred it are welcome to contradict me.

No comments: