Friday, July 31, 2020

Monday and leaving Lake O' the Pines

Monday, June 22

I didn't get up when I woke up, so I missed the storm coming in. I went back to sleep and woke to a horrible nightmare. And to rain. Not that rain is a horrible nightmare, but there was a good bit of it. Off and on--showers, dribbles, and outright rain.

Rain's over.

So this is the departure day of my last camping trip while employed. Seems like things would feel different, somehow. It's just not sinking in...it would have, I think, if things had gone as planned and I'd retired three months ago.

If things had gone as planned, two weeks ago we'd have been on a glorious, seven night camping trip, to the Great Plains State Park and Palo Duro Canyon. That would have been two days longer than our longest trip to date--or is that three? I don't remember. And we would have been going cool places where I've never been before. Super heavy sigh. Well. That's not happening anytime soon.


While we were getting ready I went for a quick walk in search of the elusive red-headed woodpecker.



This one obligingly posed, by the rest-rooms.






Other birds seen: Great Crested Flycatcher. Great Blue Heron. Eastern Kingbirds. Scissortails








The trip back was so unmemorable that I didn't write a single thing down.


Au revoir, Lake O' The Pines!







NOTES:
1. Always put camping chocolate in the fridge.
2. Always look at all blackbirds
3. Start doing better job taking notes

No comments: