Monday, January 24, 2022

Mammoth Goes to Matagorda Day 3

Wednesday, Jan 12 2022




 In the morning we all walked down to the beach and puttered around there. I saw birds in the mudflats that I thought were buffleheads, but later got a picture and realized not--they were hooded mergansers.



I took an afternoon walk with Molly, going out to take more  pictures of the birds. I went almost to the end of the pier and saw that there was no point in continuing--I couldn't get back to the beach without walking on slippery granite boulders and wading through water of an unknown depth.


More hooded mergansers

Reddish egret and Snowy egret with lots of ring-billed gulls

Sanderlings

American Avocet

Move avocets
I'm not completely sure what this thing is, but I think Willet
Bunch of Cormorants stretching

So Molly and I walked halfway back and exited onto the sand dunes, at a point where someone or something had broken out one side of the wooden boardwalk. Just a few steps on the sand dunes (forbidden; I know) and I was on a dirt/sand road.  There we looked for sparrows, but as usual, the first time I see a sparrow is when it is disappearing. Or heading away at supersonic speed to duck into a far-off bush. Stupid sparrows.

All that work getting a picture, and I'm still not sure what it is. I think it's just a Song Sparrow.


Ate Bob's fish. Good!


No comments: