Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Mammoth Goes to Matagorda, Day 4

Thursday, January 13

I'm writing this the day after, so details will be scanty and the sense of immediacy lacking entirely. We went out to eat with Steve and Lanette, Bob and T, at The Waterfront Restaurant. As far as we could tell, it's the best place to eat in Matagorda...because it's the only place to eat in Matagorda. It wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't very good. Just as people had remarked, the salads were laughable. The fried oysters were okay. But if I'd gotten the crab cake like some of the others did, I'd have been sorely disappointed.

It was a slow, easygoing kind of day otherwise. I took Molly on a long walk while they played Euchre, and then another one in the evening. Actually, I think the morning walk was with Theresa. We went all the way out the pier, across the sand at the end and back. This was the same sand I'd wanted to cross the evening before, but the water was over the road.



Then I watched an Osprey take a long bath at the edge of the river with Lanette. It was also the day when Ed went fishing. Me too, but I didn't get any bites on my shrimp and gave up pretty fast. He eventually caught a huge, gorgeous redfish--28-3/4 inches! It wasn't hurt that we could tell, and he didn't want to clean it, so he put it back.


Lots and lots of avocets. It took a while to see the sweeping the bill gesture I'd heard about. I had imagined them as birds who stood in the mud in tide pools and swept side to side, but no. They get right out in the waves and stand in water up to their backs, and there they do the sweepy thing. Cool. Also their necks are pure white this time of year, so they don't have the reddish thing I was expected from the breeding pictures.

This is a Black-necked Stilt


And a couple of juvenile White Ibises. Typical butt shot.


No comments: