Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Another of my YA books and a really good one


Paperweight

by Meg Haston


Not to knock this story, but on an aside: I'm really confused why so many people write books about anorexia cases that begins with a traumatic, triggering incident. That sort of thing happens, I guess, but not all that commonly. Much more often the "traumatic, triggering incident" is something like this:
- I sat next to Ashley on the bench and was freaked out by the gaps between her stick legs. I should have that!
- My mom bought me a cake and then yelled at me because I was too fat for my dress.
- I skipped a meal and suddenly realized that I could do this always--I had the power!

So you see, I find the condition much more interesting when it appears to occur without an obvious cause. As it usually does.

That aside, this is a great story. masterfully written--you're right in Stevie's head throughout. You cry--and occasionally cheer--for her as she deals with her demons. I'd highly recommend it to almost any young person or anyone interested in the subject.

No comments: