Monday, April 24, 2023

okay memoir of woman who learned to like RVing, but I'm glad I didn't spend money on it

 The Reluctant RV Wife
By Geri Almand


The story was good but the writing, or maybe it was the paragraphing? put me off. It seemed endlessly repetitive.  No doubt it was repetitive for the writer too--sore knees, knee operations, conflict between wanting to stay at home with her prize-winning garden and wanting to see new places; husband with itchy feet; and repeat. Those were the themes that echoed on almost every page. Squeeze in a little loneliness and sense of disconnection, and you've got the whole book.

But I'm not saying I hated it, I'm just saying it wasn't at all what I hoped for. She had all the elements of a great story, she just failed to put them together in a way that made me love it. I wonder if there was any editing involved at all? Probably so, but not nearly enough.

If you're considering RV-ing or even full-timing, you might find this interesting. A lot of it. And hopefully, a lot more than I did. I really enjoyed the "home downsizing" section at the end, and the occasional descriptions of parks and scenic beauty scattered throughout.

No comments: