Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hope I no need bread because

 I just scooped out my No-Knead bread, "Bread so easy a four-year-old can make it."  It's supposed to rest for 15 minutes, then I somehow have to make it into a ball and encase the ball in towels.
Here is is what it looks like, resting.

 




Hint: this is not supposed to be what it looks like.


Many people said their dough wouldn't make a ball, either, but that it still turned out well.  But was their dough more like a seeping, watery mass on the cutting board?  Dare I add a little extra yeast?  

No, I'll just ball it up and let it do its second rising.

LaterIt's hopeless and I'm a failure.  I can't even make No-Knead Bread.  It turned out flat as a tortilla with the texture of a brick.

On the other hand, the recipe posted for the 4-year-old varies slightly from Smitten Kitchen's.  I'm trying the 4-year-old version next time.  And there will be a next time.

Also, I think it needed more flour and a warmer rising place.  And a 7-1/2 quart Dutch Oven.

No comments: