Monday, January 14, 2013

Sunday night cooking

Last night I cooked breakfast--always a favorite.  Pork sausage (free range, of course), eggs from the chickens down the road, grapefruit from somewhere (hopefully South Texas), and sugar muffins from Ed's mom.  Okay, maybe she didn't cook them, but she supplied the recipe a number of years ago.  Ed and his brothers grew up calling them 'sugar muffins' but the recipe shows them as 'French breakfast puffs.'

I have one issue with the recipe...other than the fact that they have an excess of butter and sugar and no nutritional value whatsoever.  My issue is that the recipe calls for 1/3 c soft shortening, part butter.  Do I really think "The French" would have used shortening other than butter?  One of these days I'm going to try them with all butter and see the results.

No comments: