Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Book #21 (of 101)

A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle

There really needs to be a sequel to this one.  The first time I finished it, I woke up next morning angry because she'd left so many threads unspun.  So many plot lines dangling.  So many lives unfinished.

So I re-read the last few chapters in the light of day.  And see now that she told the story she meant to tell--a love story.  A whole lot more got mixed into it, but basically, it's a love story between a girl and her boy.  And her dolphins.

"What happened next" for the other characters would have been nice, but I'm not going to go looking for it right now.  One thing I will say--I've never seen so many fascinating, un-flat characters in a kid's book.  Maybe only two of them--Vicky and her Grandfather--are truly round, but almost all of the others are definite semicircles.  That's why I want to know what happened to them--I grew to care about Zachery and John and Leo, Rob and Suzy (Vicky's younger brother and sister), and even the old guy, Jeb who ended up in the hospital.  Didn't anyone ever tell his favorite dolphin friend, Ynid, why he wasn't coming around anymore?

To sum up--read it if you're a teenage girl who wants to be in love.  or--just maybe--if you're a parent or a friend of a teenage girl.  You'll understand.

No comments: