Monday, April 1, 2013

I can't review









 It's a literary work and I'm not literary.  Okay, maybe it's not "literature" in the style of James Joyce's Ulysses or E. L Doctorow's Ragtime, but it's full of poetry and classical allusions and clever writing.  (And by that, I don't mean the Moon Runes of Thorin Oakenshield's map.)  The clever writing irritated me for the most--how many times can you use "darkly" as an adverb and have it be effective?   Winter was darkly coming.  Clouds were darkly gathering.  And sadly, I just couldn't get my mind around most of the pseudo-Victorian poetry.  Basically...I skimmed it.

But the mystery was superb, the characters so real as to be painful, and the unfolding of The Romance kept me flipping pages to the end--and I loved the end.   I only skimmed the poetry--all the rest was engagingly riveting.

If you're at all knowledgeable about Victorian era poetry, you must read it.  Or if you're a mystery lover who can stand a little monkey-wrenched history, you should try it.  Otherwise...only if you're a fast reader who can tread water a foot over your depth and still have a great time--
Like me.

No comments: