Saturday, April 13, 2013

Wow


The book review by The Onion A.V. Club compares it to Tolkien, but I say that's pushing a bit.  A lot.  It's not Tolkien but it's a good, solid modern fantasy with writing both plain and fancy.  The "flights of fancy" don't irritate, they sing.  The characters keep you guessing and the plot just won't stop moving.

It's full of beautiful songs----but the songs are only words.  I find it sad that the songs can't be made real in the medium of paper.  The only reason movies are sometimes better than books is that books can only transcribe the words--movies can make the songs come to life.  It can put them in the mouth of a wizened old wizard or a trio of merry hobbits.   I wish Peter Jackson would fall in love with this book and bring it to life.

Many things the writer created masterfully, but my favorite is that he was just as good as J. K. Rowling at making magical creatures and objects seem familiar.  A draccus.  Denner resin.  Bone-tar, which you don't want to mess with--it burns at room termperature and it burns hot.  And sympathy lamps...lights without a flame or power source other than, I guess, your body.  I want one.

I have one warning--it's first of a trilogy and the third one is not out yet.

No comments: