Friday, June 7, 2013

On track and even slipped in a freebie


Next book review,

Beat the Turtle Drum by Constance C. Greene


How about reading an out-of-print, mass market teen paperback from the seventies...with a massive spoiler on the back cover? 

From the first page I knew how it was going to end.  I just didn't know the particulars.

It was surprisingly well-written and the characters were surprisingly endearing.  Vivacious Joss.  Her observant, thoughtful sister--the narrator--I never did catch her name.  Slightly slow Tootie, out of place in his brainy family but quick to recognize the beauty of a true friend.  Conventional Sam.  The bizarre couple, Mr. and Mrs. Essig.  I liked them all.

But overall, for an adult reader who didn't grow up with the book, it was short and shallow.  I'm sure there are a lot of teen books an adult can read and love, but this wasn't one.
It's for thirteen and under.  But recommended.



As to the freebie--I read The Pigman's Legacy and it was awesome!

No comments: