Sunday, June 9, 2013

Teen interrupted


Deenie by Judy Blume.


Judy Blume has a true gift for getting down whack-job parents and the screwed up kids they create.  You might think Deenie is a story about a girl with sciliosis, but in Ms. Blume's own words,
  1. I think of the story as one about parental expectations. Deenie's mother says, Deenie's the beauty, Helen's the brain.  What happens when a parent pigeonholes her children that way?

Goes to show you don't have to be unloving or abusive to raise up a messed up kid.  I got the impression Deenie and Helen will get past it, eventually.  Maybe with a little therapy.  It sure makes me think about my own parenting weaknesses and long string of failures.  Good intentions and the road to hell and all.

This is a book I'd recommend to any young teenager.  If possible, read it in a book group with discussion.  In a perfect world, with a little guidance from an older person, say a big sister or brother.

No comments: