Saturday, June 22, 2013

Short book; short review

It's Not The End Of The World

The other Judy Blume books have made me a fan, but I have to admit I didn't like this one. It's more dated--less relevant--and everyone was flat--even the heroine. And like so many other books I've read for this project, it's a kid book, not a teen book. Not that I don't like kid's books--it just wasn't a good kid's book.

In it's favor, it does deal with one universal theme--what does a kid do when the grownups won't tell you things? Answer, and a good one: you ask. And keep asking until you get answers. Even if you have to plop yourself down in front of the bathroom door and wait a person out.  That, I liked. It reminded me of the scared and lonely feelings I had, back when my mom went through a strange couple of years where she'd go into crying fits and hide away in her bedroom. No one mentioned menopause back then--I thought she was going crazy.

No comments: