Thursday, July 18, 2013

Traveling with the master

I'm out of order here.  I was supposed to read another kids book in front of this one.  But once I started, I didn't stop--and that says everything.

From The Ocean To The Sky by Edmund Hilary.

Adventure writing at its best--scenery, personalities, and jet  boats; overbearing crowds and scary solitude; beauty and (some rather cool) beasts.  All told with endearing honesty and introspection by a master of storytelling.

The plan was to follow the Ganges River--mata ganga--from her ending in the Bay of Bengal up to her roots in the Himalayan Mountains.  A holy pilgrimage for millions of people but a thumping good adventure for Sir Edmund and his rugged crew.  Did they make it?  Read it yourself and find out.

I was really impressed by his description of puja--the devotional service offered up at the start of the journey and many more times along the way.  So different from the method I grew up with--everyone stares at the ground and the oldest male says a few words starting with Dear Lord and ending with Amen.  The puja touched the spirit.

There's a short essay and Hindu religion and current beliefs at the end...enlightening.  I'm planning to read it again tomorrow.   Also a detailed description of the jet boat design and how to pilot one in tricky water.  I'll pass on that.

Five stars on this one.  And a little cheer.

No comments: