Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A classic I was lucky to miss

A Girl of the Limberlost (Limberlost, #2)A Girl Of the Limberlost
by Gene Stratton-Porter

It might make me lose my reading challenge to do this, but I'm giving up on this one.  It is so dreadfully awful!  What can you do with a book that starts off the first chapter using the following declaratives, in order:
demanded
faltered
cried
jeered
replied
said    (Finally!)
In later conversation we find: panted, begged, inquired, sobbed, and suggested....  But you're used to them and hardly notice them...most of the time.

People who loved it as children will hate me for this, but to be honest, I can't imagine liking this book at any age.  There are certain books I count as childhood favorites that I might consider outdated for the modern audience.  The Pink Maple House, Little Men, The Five Little Peppers, The Horse Without a Head--I loved them to death but I wouldn't force them on a modern-day child.  (I might offer them, nonchalantly.)  But those books have plot, charm, and a writing style that doesn't grate on the nerves.  They're real novels about real people, not made-up crap about impossibly saintly people or unbelievably cruel people who have a mystical conversion and become impossibly saintly.   They're books that if I read them for the first time now, I'd at least be able to finish them.

A Girl Of the Limberlost--abandoned.

No comments: