Sunday, October 26, 2014

Makes you want to go on a cruise

The Sea Around UsThe Sea Around Us
by Rachel Carson

The classic natural history in a 1961 update, with footnotes, introduction and an afterword.  The introduction was by Ann H. Zwinger; the afterword by Jeffrey S. Levinton.  It doesn't say who wrote the footnotes so I assume it was Rachel Carson herself.

This is the kind of book that taught me to love natural history writing long, long ago.  A 2014 rewrite would be cool.  Some things never change--wind, water and waves--but our understanding of them does. It would be a different book today...but not so different as to render this one pointless.

Does my admiration for this lovely, lovely book give me a right to gripe, just a little?  It was published by Oxford University Press.  I don't know if it's their fault or the author's (when in doubt, blame the publisher), but the whole 243 page volume contains exactly one illustration.  There may have been two but I don't think so.  One measly little map!  It should have had a hundred.  No map of Pangaea--no diagram of wave motion--nary an illustration of undersea volcanoes or the moon-sun alignment that causes spring tides.  That last fact NEVER made sense to me until I saw a drawing of it.  So why not here?





No comments: