Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Stories. The best.



Stones from the River
by Urusla Hegi



I did this magnificent book a disservice.  Thinking it was short stories, I kept wondering when the story was going to come to an end.  The episodes were concise and pithy--each could be plenty for a short story--but they didn't end.

Soon enough I realized my mistake and thought it might be a novella packaged together with some stories, but by then I was so hooked I didn't want that to be true.  I couldn't consult the book cover--it was already back at the library.  And I didn't dare consult the online resources (Goodreads, Library, etc.) for fear of spoilers.

Needless to say, I was very, very happy to spend six more weeks living through thirty years in 'Trudy's life.  The narrator's gentle German accent read her name as "Twoodie" and it was a long time before I realized it was short for Gertrude.  No matter--I was in love with her. Gertrude, Twoodie, Der Zwerg.  The woman.  I cried for her--cried with her--rejoiced at her triumphs, admired her attempts at understanding this strange and confusing world she was landed in.  I could spend another twenty years with Trudy and her stories.


No comments: