Friday, January 23, 2015

This is my failure


These is my Words

By Nancy E. Turner

Contemplated finishing this tonight...realized I didn't have to.  It's the sort of book I find easy to put down and hard to pick up.  But when I'm reading it, the story flows along.  And along.  And along.  There's only one plot line that should be keeping me interested, but it isn't.  I know the guy will get the girl in the end, and the suspense is definitely not killing me.

There's so much promise here--frontier girl blossoming into womanhood.  Rakish and inscrutable Captain in the Army.  Long wagon ride to Tuscon.  Starting a ranch.  Getting married, having a baby.  None of these are fleshed out well enough to make me really care.  There are side characters that I hope for her to explore...and they stay unmutably flat as pancakes.

So, sad to say, abandoned.  Page 184 out of 384.


No comments: