Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Took a while but worth it

A Devil's Chaplain: Reflections on Hope, Lies, Science, and Love
A Devil's Chaplain: Reflections on Hope, Lies, Science and Love
by Richard Dawkins


Collection of essays, mostly on evolution and its mechanics but a few on topics like cultural transmission of memes, human nurture, and cloning.  There were also a few book reviews and a letter to his daughter that spoke--heartbreakingly--to me. It's about evidence-based beliefs as compared to those from tradition, faith, and authority.  I wish I'd written in.  I should print it and send it to my son.

There was only one essay specifically blasting religion, but I must say it had its moments.  For example, regarding religion's tendency toward divisive labeling of "the others":
  1. To label people as death-deserving enemies because of disagreements about real world politics is bad enough.  To do the same for disagreements about a delusional world inhabited by archangels, demons, and imaginary friends is ludicrously tragic.
I can't say I understood all the details in the first essays on subjects of a slightly technical shade, but it was a helpful jolt for my mind to see how he disagreed with Steven Jay Gould.  I thought Gould was the last word on evolution, but I now I see--and rejoice to know--lively debate is still ongoing.  Science soars on!

No comments: