Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Funny, okay? Get over yourselves.



Get Your Tongue out of my Mouth, I'm Kissing You Good-bye!
by Cynthia Heimel

So before I made a special trip to the Allen library to get this book, I re-checked the reviews.  They ranged from, "It was hilarious!" to, "Not funny at all."   Or more like, not-funny-by-reason-of-ideology.  People didn't laugh at this book because they didn't agree with it.  Agree with it?!?   It's humor!  Since when do you agree with humor?  Take my wife--please.  Is that a sexist remark?

I don't think readers treated this in the same way they would a book by a male writer.  I think they took it way too seriously.  I wonder if they got offended when she wrote about how she wished she were a lesbian so she wouldn't be such a wimpy, praise-seeking pushover.  They thought she was serious?  Did they miss the final sentence?

As for me, I thought it was pretty funny.  Nothing to recommend especially, but not a waste of time.

No comments: