Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Thrown glass good



Throne of Glass
by Sarah J. Maas

I can't explain why I liked this book so much that I had to make a Half Price Books run on Saturday to look for the sequel. I was unsuccessful, but it's at the library.  All I had to do was wait one day.  Book #3 is also there, but I might have to put it on hold.  There are at least prequels, novellas, but I can't imagine what's in them.  This one was clearly the start of the series.

There are plenty of angles and foreshadows for future development, but not so many that it overwhelms the reader.  Plenty of questions unanswered, but you don't feel unsatisfied--it's NOT a cliffhanger.  It's just not the end of the story.

My only dislike is the lack of detail in just a very few areas.  What do the Wyrdmarks look like?  She describes them, but it wouldn't have hurt to put a couple of pictures on the page.  What was her training really like?  She mentions it--"We spent the day climbing", or "They'd done some archery practice".  But why no gory details?  Didn't the author do her research?  When Celaena "held back" at practice, to cover up her proficiency with the hunting knives, what did that really mean?

I will note that the author's description of Celaena's fine dresses left nothing to the imagination.  I liked that part.

Next book, please.

No comments: