Friday, May 1, 2015

A little bit of life well lived

World Gone Beautiful
by Linda Buturian

How can you love a book and (kind of) hate the author?  Is dislike the better word?  No--too harsh.  Let's just say I didn't cozy up to her.  She was clearly her, not me...but a beautiful writer all the same.

I loved her farm, her fields, her mud and her friends.  The story behind the farm is that four families of quite normal people got together and bought a farmhouse and some acreage; worked as somewhat more than neighbors but much less than a "commune".  (Commune has too many negative connotations these days--bearded hippies and free love and trying to survive on mung bean sprouts.)

Somehow, through hard work and love for the land, they made it.  I could see myself doing the same thing.  I loved her beautiful, beautiful world.  And the kids--I would have enjoyed reading more about the kids.

So this is a free-flowing record of a few years of living on the Rum River, living with the land despite jobs and long commutes and stories to write and sell.   It's a life out in the open.  And that's just right.

No comments: