Thursday, May 14, 2015

Two audio duds were followed by a winner on paper



The Midwife; a Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times
by Jennifer Worth

So good.  I read it so fast it hurt, but I'm going to re-read the last couple of chapters just to prolong the pain.  According to Goodreads it's the first in a trilogy but I'm not sure the library has the second two.   so I'll probably stop here and watch the rest on Netflix.

The episodes were amusing, sad, happy, warm, and painful.  The only thing I missed was a little insight into the narrator's heart.  I mean, she talked about the smells and filth so well that I could smell them and see them, feeling a little vomitous myself, and she got the people in a snapshot--perfect!  And at times, her love and joy, puzzlement and pain showed clearly in her narrator's voice... but all this was reaction to the exterior and I didn't get a glimpse into an interior narrative--a true first-person journey.  I ask too much.

No comments: