Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Martha who?


My Boyfriend Barfed in my Handbag
...and Other Things You Can't Ask Martha


by Jolie Kerr

Man, I thought this was going to be funnier.  It's funny, but not funnier.  And I learned all kind of dreary things about how often you're supposed to Daily Clean your kitchen but then still have to do a periodic Full-Monty Hard Clean.  That part was nauseating.  If I spent one-tenth the time cleaning that she does...I'd shoot myself.

The little snippets of humor kept me reading, and I may have even learned something.  The next time I have a coffee/tea/soy sauce/Sriracha stain on my best blouse, I'll try harder.  I already knew that bleach was not the answer, after an ill-fated attempt to treat a soiled cotton print blouse--the stain went away, but so did half of the print.

I learned that all stains benefit from cold water.  Then, protein-based stains like blood respond to soap, peroxide, oxiclean or meat tenderizer; sweat stains: vinegar, Oxiclean, peroxide+soda; grease stains: PineSol or a degreaser; ink stains: blot with alcohol; tannin: cold water or soap.  No answer on the soy sauce or Sriracha, but next time I get one, I'll try harder.  I treat soy sauce like a stoppered test tube of anthrax culture--wear protective gloves, line the surface with disposable towels, and hold far away from the body.

No comments: