Sunday, October 11, 2015

Me and celibrity memoirs again

Kitchen Confidential:
Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
by Anthony Bourdain

I guess we all have our weaknesses.  I seem to have one for celebrity chef memoirs.  When I find a good one, it gets picked up first from the stack and consumed like a big plate of comfort food. It's my mom's fried potatoes and a pot of white beans.

Mr. Bourdain did a trick here I wish every memoir-writer would do.  He takes off a chapter or two to explain his philosophy of life. or, in his case, of eating (when to eat what and what never to eat).  He also discusses choosing a cooking career (what to expect in the real world), and how to succeed in the career (don't lie much, be reliable, and put up with a lot of sh*t.)

So it's a  pleasurable mix of life and learning with an amusing dose of life lessons.  If you're going to be a cook. Thank heavens I'm not.

No comments: