Saturday, October 31, 2015

Nothing to read here

Devotion: A Memoir
by Dani Shapiro

I just didn't get it--sometimes you don't.  I kept expecting something to happen or something to change, and I think maybe something might have, but the happenings and changes were so imperceptible they just breezed by, unnoticed.

I believe the subject of the memoir was the author's journey of self-discovery--exploring her roots, trying out the trappings of her Jewish heritage, and looking into her own soul through yoga and meditations.  All that should be admirable and make for a "riveting read", but it didn't.  If she ever went deeply into anything, it didn't show in these pages.  I learned nothing here.  If she did any research into the meaning behind the tradition, she didn't bother to share it with us. 

But just possibly, another reader, one with more in common to her, will find in this book all that I missed.  Good luck.

No comments: