Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Delicious!


Soul Food
Adrian Miller

Loved it. Did you know that in the 1700s, English aristocrats adored chitlins?  In slavery days, chitlins were eaten as much in the Big House as in the slave cabins and they weren't embarrassed about it.  I'm sure my ancestors (poor whites; couldn't afford slaves) ate them.  I think I might have eaten them once, but I don't remember exactly.

Since the book is about the origin and evolution of soul food in America, there are other dishes you'd expect like fried chicken, greens, and candied sweet potatos.  He describes each dish in a separate chapter, not skimping on how they became "black food" during and after the diaspora.  But he also includes dishes I'd never have considered iconically soulful, like macaroni and cheese--oh, sorry--mac 'n cheese--hot sauce, and "red drinks."   Who'd have thunk it?

Cool book. I don't expect to be trying any of his recipes.  For one thing, I am constitutionally unable to put sugar in corn bread.  My Mom would kill me. Some of the other dishes are things I love, like greens, but I've learned to like them just as much without meat as a seasoning.  But I bet I'd love every single one. 

Note: it's not a recipe book--it just includes one or two recipes at the end of each chapter, lagniappe.

No comments: